500 g Proto-pasta Rustable Magnetic Iron Metal PLA Composite
Prints like PLA, behaves like metal! Experience our most "attractive" material yet!!!
Proto-pasta Rustable Magnetic Iron Metal PLA Composite is actually ferromagnetic. It responds to magnets and behaves similarly to pure iron! Encapsulated in plastic, the iron maintains a stable matte, cast metal finish as printed, but can be rusted when desired. Here is why Proto-pasta Iron PLA is so interesting:
- Weighted feel with 1.5x the density of standard PLA
- Rustable to create modern artifacts in a few easy steps - instruction here
- Attracts magnets (neodymium type recommended for strongest attraction)
- Induction at magnetic saturation about 0.15 Tesla
- Relative (to air) Permeability - between 5 and 8 independent of frequency up to 1 MHz
- Permeability - between 62E-7 and 100E-7 H/m independent of frequency up to 1 MHz
- More thermally conductive than standard plastic
- Prints easily like PLA with less nozzle wear than Steel or Carbon Fiber
- More filament for your money - 2x the length of Bronzefill (500g Iron =1kg Bronzefill)
We recommend experimenting with creating a rusty patina like this:
**This filament is more abrasive than standard PLA. Be prepared to replace your nozzle and do 1st layer adjustment. Try a wear resistant and/or larger diameter nozzle for increased service intervals.
- Available in 1.75 & 2.85 (3) mm diameters.
- 125g are loose coils, 500g is on a 8" diameter spool, 2kg is on a 12" diameter spool.
- Usable on most PLA-compatible printers, such as Lulzbot, Makerbot, FlashForge, Dremel, Ultimaker, Printrbot, and more!
In filament form, FEPLA is slightly more brittle than standard PLA, and requires extra care when handling.
Processing is comparable to standard PLA. No heated bed required. Process may be less consistent on smaller nozzles and/or bowden type machines. We frequently print using direct-drive systems with 0.4 mm nozzles, though prefer 0.6 mm and 190-210C (standard PLA or a bit cooler) for the best experience.